Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Exhibition opens!

The residency showcase exhibition has opened!





I've been flat out the last few weeks getting work ready for this, and was really pleased to see it finally open last night. I completed nine pieces of new work, ranging from a set of simple paper sculptures to this black jacket. My key aim in the residency was to make time-consuming one-off pieces which I would normally not have time to make. I like to create work by hand, often with a lot of complex detail and hand stitching. I also wanted to spend the time just experimenting, without a specific aim.



My work on display is mostly inspired by the interiors, gardens and collections at Bantock House, and by the craft displays at Bilston Craft Gallery. I have often used museum collections as my creative source material, but tried to look a different kinds of objects and use different elements in this project.


A large part of this residency has been teaching workshops for schools, colleges and community groups. Developing new ideas for the workshops has been enjoyable and has often led me into new creative directions for my own work. I have used new materials for some of the pieces in this show, and have experimented in working in completely different ways than I would normally.



I still have lots of ideas that I haven’t been able to make during this residency and I expect to see them creeping into my ongoing work in the next few months.

It is in the Adult Education Centre in Wolverhampton until 13th April 2007.
City Learning Quarter
Old Hall Street
Wolverhampton
WV1 3AU

Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 7.30pm
Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
Saturday 9.00am to 12.30pm